At a Glance
Interview with Dr. Emmett
Although not a native of Baltimore, Dr. Emmett has called Baltimore his home for the last 40 years. Though his roots are in Virginia, he is now a proud Ravens and Oriole fan who can often be seen cheering on the home team.
After graduating from Randolph Macon College in 1983, he attended a year of graduate school studying Molecular Genetics at the College of William and Mary. Next, he attended the University of Maryland Dental School and graduated in 1989 in the top percentile of his class. He was awarded many scholastic and extra-curricular honors while also serving on the Honor Council. In his first year, he became a member of the Honor Council; the second and third year, he became the Assistant Student Chairman; and finally in his last year, he became the Chairman of the Honor Council. Finally, he served as Vice President of the student body for 1 year and President for 2 years.
After graduation he married Dr. Margery Hernandez, a fellow dental student at the University of Maryland Dental school and presently one of "Baltimore's Best" Pediatric Dentists. He then practiced for one year in a General Practice Residency at the Veterans Administration Hospital in Washington D.C.
Following this, Dr. Emmett went back to school and trained for his specialty in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery for four years at Georgetown University Medical Center in Washington D.C. His medical training took place at Georgetown University Hospital, DC General Hospital, the VA Hospital in Washington, and the National Institutes of Health Hospital (NIH) in Bethesda, Maryland.
In 1994, Dr. Emmett established his solo practice at the St. Joseph Hospital Medical Center in Towson, Maryland next door to his lovely wife, Dr. Margery Hernandez. Dr. Emmett and Dr. Hernandez have two beautiful and high achieving teenage children, both Nationally Ranked Golfers; the oldest recently started competing in NCAA Golf.
Membership and Certifications
- Diplomat – American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
- Fellow – American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons
- Diplomat – National Dental Board of Anesthesiology
- Fellow – American Society of Anesthesiology
- Fellow – American College of Dentists
- Fellow – Peirre Fauchard Academy
Dr. Emmett began his part time Clinical Instructor tenure with the department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery at the University of Maryland Dental School in 1995. He has continued this part time professorship where he interacts with both postdoctoral residents in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery and Undergraduate Dental Students on both the didactic and clinical levels. He presently continues this educational experience.
When questioned by Baltimore Magazine as to his teaching experience he was quoted as saying, “I have always loved education, especially in the field of Dentistry and Oral and Maxillofacial surgery. The University of Maryland Dental School has been very good to Margie and I. I enjoy giving back to my institution in any way I can. If I’m able to benefit the University by doing something I enjoy, that is teaching students and residents, everyone wins!”
In 2010 Dr. Emmett was elected to serve an appointment with the department of Admissions at the University of Maryland Dental School. He currently continues to assist the University of Maryland with the selection of the most qualified candidates for Dental School.
Awards and Honors
- In 2010 Dr. Emmett was named by “Top Dentist” as the Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Baltimore correspondent to Bravo, Fox News, CNN, and MSNBC. He currently continues this relationship with “Top Doctors.”
- Named as one of “Americans Top Dentist” in Guide to American Top Dentists, Consumer Research Council of American
- Listed in “Best Dentist in America”
Woodward and White peer selection
- National Registrars, “Who’s Who in Executives and Professionals”
- Voted Top Oral Surgeon in Baltimore
Baltimore Magazine special “Spring Dental Issue.” Named in every issue since 1997
- Selected Advisor to the Editor “Spring Dental Issue” 2012
- Featured Health and Wellness Article; Advice from the Experts
Style Magazine; Smart Living in Baltimore
- New Dentist Leadership Award 1999
Maryland State Dental Association
- Executive Board Member Baltimore County Dental Association 1995-2002
- President Baltimore County Dental Association 2001-2002
- The Katheryn Toomey Award 1989
Presented by the University of Maryland to the student who has shown the greatest “Devotion, Earnestness, and Extracurricular Service to the University of Maryland Dental School over their four years of education”
- Omicron Kappa Upsilon – 1989, The Most Prestigious Academically Honorary Dental Society
- Gorgas Odontological Honor Society 1988, Academic Honorary Dental Society
- Merit Certificate 1989, American Academy of Dental Radiology presented to the University of Maryland Student who researched and defended a thesis in the field of Dental Radiology
- Operation Hope 1994; The Philippine American Group of Educators and Surgeons
Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery – Manilla, Philippines
- Operation Del Sol 1993; Georgetown University Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery – La Romana, Dominican Republic